How Do Cranes Work?
Design Using the Engineering Design Process
The Engineering Design Process helps us figure out problems and solve them like engineers. Today you will use this process to design and build a simple machine to lift heavy objects.
- What is my problem? Design and build a Crane to lift heavy objects to tall heights.
- What are my constraints? You can only use the materials provided.
- Brainstorm some solutions to your problem.
- Do some research with your team if needed.
- Draw out your ideas on a piece of paper. Don’t forget to check the materials list below to include anything you might need.
- Materials List:
- Pipe Cleaners
- Paper Clips
- Use your plan to create your project.
- Test how strong your crane is by trying to lift objects.
- Take notes of the strengths and weaknesses of your crane for future adjustment.
- Think about what you would do to improve it (make it better) and share it with your group.
- Ask them for their feedback too, and reflect on how you can improve your crane.
- You will go through the process again and rebuild your crane using your group’s feedback and observations.